Amina couldn’t express her stirred up emotions when she was informed about her first pregnancy. She recalls that period as one of the best phases of her life. She could feel the rhythm of tiny heart beats inside her womb, reminding her about the presence of a little life growing up bit by bit every day. She was waiting eagerly for the moment of birth, so that she could wrap up her child within her arms and tell her how much she loved her. Top 5 Non Profit Organizations Providing Free Medical Care to People in Need in Pakistan
The delight of having a newborn child in a family soon turned into anxiety and sorrow, when Amina’s daughter was diagnosed with Congenital Heart disease just two days after her birth. The little soul had bluish skin, lips,and fingers. She had trouble in breathing and couldn’t feed properly.
The doctors advised her daughter an open heart surgery, but her husband was a daily wage laborer who cannot afford to pay thousands of rupees for the treatment. As days passed by; the hooded vale of death hung over the child. Amina felt threatened by the thought that life can lash out mercilessly any time, and she could lose her daughter.
Amina’s daughter is not the only child who cannot access basic healthcare at the moment when she needs it the most. There are millions of poor men, women and children in Pakistan who are the victim of inequity in the healthcare industry.
Poor people in Pakistan receive less medical care so they have pathetic health outcomes. There are good and well-equipped hospitals in Pakistan where still timely medical care is scarce for the poor, because medical treatment at these hospitals is attached with huge price tags.
We should stand against the prevailing discrimination in our healthcare system, so that every individual can access medical care on time regardless of their financial status.
The crisis in our healthcare can be fixed, only if the government and other charitable institutions join hands to provide resources and a dedicated workforce to cover the basic healthcare needs of the patients.
It is high time to understand that caring for the sick is holistic and healthcare should be given for free.
List of Top 5 Non Profit Organizations Providing free Medical Care to People in Need in Pakistan:
3-Chhipa Welfare Association
4-Al Mustafa Welfare Society
5-Shaukat Khanum Cancer Hospital
Quick and Easy Way to Save Peoples’ Lives:
“Transparent Hands” is in first position, in our List of Top 5 Non Profit Organizations Providing Free Medical Care to People in Need in Pakistan. Transparent Hands funds surgeries of poor patients using a global Crowdfunding platform. The platform provides visibility of poor patients and builds a personal and trusted bond, between patients and donors while ensuring complete transparency.
Where Is the Problem?
More than 70 million people in Pakistan are living below the poverty line, due to which they are unable to undergo proper health treatment if they experience any disease. Estimated amount of surgery backlog in Pakistan is in millions every year.
- There are not many health insurance plans for underprivileged community. They have to pay out of pocket if they need any medical treatment but due to the limited or no resources, majority is unable to undergo surgical treatment.
- Beyond the cost of the surgical procedure, they might have to pay for pre and post-operative expenses which includes medical tests, medications, hospital stay and other expenses. It is almost impossible for someone who earns less than $2 a day to pay hefty amount for medical relief.
- There is lack of advanced medical facilities and medical professionals, due to which lower middle class families are unable to avail treatment facilities.
- There are a limited number of beds in hospitals but the number of patients visiting these hospitals is a lot more.
- Every second patient including a child is put on a long waiting list and during the waiting period, the patient’s health further deteriorates. In most of the cases, patients expire until their turn comes.
- There is no advanced healthcare services in slums, due to which majority of people have to rely on quacks in their areas.
- Private hospitals are out of reach for deprived community, due to the high costs of consultation fees and surgical procedure.
- Committed to Provide Free Surgeries to Those Who Cannot Afford
Transparent Hands is a non-profit organization which is tackling this major healthcare issue of Pakistan with the help of fundraising through its unique Crowdfunding platform. It is registered under Trust Act 1882 as a Trust Organization with a Tax Exemption status under the article 2(36) in Pakistan. Transparent Hands is registered in USA EIN assigned: 47-3564801 as Transparent Hands Foundation US, Inc. with tax exemption status 501(c)3.
Transparent Hands conducts the surgeries of deserving patients, free of cost at private hospitals with the help of donations and charity. Donors from all over the world can use our online Crowdfunding web portal if they wish to donate. They could select any patient, fund the surgery and receive regular feedback and updates until the patient is recovered completely.
Our user friendly online fundraising work as follows:
- Choose the patient whose surgery you want to fund.
- Choose from a number of payment methods as per your convenience.
- Donate to that particular patient and get tax exemption.
- Get regular updates of that patient until he/she gets fully recovered.
What makes us unique is; our transparency level that means donors will be ensured ,that each penny they are giving will be spent on the needy patient. We do this by uploading all the hospital bills and other documents of our patient ,after his/her surgery is successfully conducted. Donor can see that the exact amount hospital has charged against the surgery of that particular patient.
Download our TransparentHands iPhone Application for Online Donation
“Edhi Fnoundation” is in second position, in our List of Top 5 Non Profit Organizations Providing Free Medical Care to People in Need in Pakistan . Edhi Foundation is the single best foundation across Pakistan and one of the best social welfare service providers across the world running on non-commercial, non-political and non-communal basis, serving round-the-clock without any discrimination of color, class and creed is enjoying exclusive credentials in the shape of awards and shields conferred upon Mr. Abdul Sattar Edhi and Mrs. Bilquis Edhi by governmental and non-governmental organizations, on national and international level for rendering their exemplary services to humanity in multidimensional fields.
The diversified fields in which Abdul Sattar Edhi played his greatest role for; saving the lives of thousands of newborn babies by placing the cradles outside the Edhi centres, fostering the abandoned babies and children, free nurturing disabled and handicapped people, free caring and feeding women and elderly people who were subjected to torture or neglected by their families, free supporting to ailing patients by providing free medication and medicines through his mobile dispensaries, hospitals and the diabetic center at Karachi.
In addition to above, he offered his services in many other areas—like providing land, air and marine ambulance services during accidents to shift patients to hospitals, national and international relief and aid assistance to the affectees of natural debacles, providing relief aid to refugees in various countries, providing emergency services to the sufferers of drought, fire and flood, saving the lives of drowned people added with recovering dead bodies from the seas and floods, free rehabilitating the drug addicts, free tracing the missing people, free arranging marriages for the helpless girls and boys, providing free food, clothing and blankets to needy people.
Besides above, he also served the humanity by offering his services, by providing free technical education to needy people to make them self sufficient through the technical knowledge and skills, providing religious education to the children to make them the best human beings, providing consultancy on family planning and maternity services, providing free blood and plasma to the disadvantaged people, providing free shelter, food and caring to mentally retarded people, caring by giving shelter and food to orphan and helpless children.
Services to humanity rendered by Abdul Sattar Edhi and his spouse Mrs. Bilquis Edhi never end here, he played his role in some more areas—such as; provided free legal aid to bail out or the prisoners from the prisons, financial and medical support to the prisoners, provided crutches and supporters to the handicapped people and gave exclusive free bathing and shrouding services to unclaimed dead bodies, so on and so forth. All these services are so much outstanding and exceptional that Edhi Foundation’s role can truly be attributed to an unprecedented example of services to the nation and country of Pakistan as well as humanity, across the globe.
- Ambulance Service
- Child Adoption Center & Childcare Services
- Edhi Homes & Orphanage Centres
- Educational Service
Edhi Land Ambulance Service was initially started by including a second hand Hillman Pickup Truck, and that was refurbished into the first ambulance thereby coining “Poor Patient Ambulance”. Now sixty years after, the Edhi ambulance has reached to the stage of largest fleet of ambulances in the world, thereby providing with a tantalizing number of ambulances—such as 1800 vehicles, all over their country – Pakistan.
Child Adoption Center & Childcare Services:
The history of establishing the Edhi child adoption centre and childcare services dates back to 1949. Mrs. Bilquis Edhi is supervising and looking after the caring and feeding of babies and children. For this purpose, exclusive cradles have been placed outside all Edhi Centres, across the country with a view to keep the abandoned and illegitimate babies in these cradles.
Mostly these abandoned newborn babies are provided to the childless couples, who in accordance with their own policies, after ensuring that they are fully deserved and exactly suitable for this noble cause. Bilquis Edhi, after completely going through the background of the couples, and undertaking a rigorous screening process she decides that the couple or the family is precisely suitable for the baby adoption.
On annual basis, Edhi Foundation is giving over 250 babies or children for adoption. Till to date, over 23,320 babies and children have been provided to the childless couples and families.
3-Chippa Welfare Association:
Love the Human Being, Respect the Mankind, Be the Ambassador of Peace
“Chhipa Welfare Association” is in third position, in our List of Top 5 Non Profit Organizations Providing Free Medical Care to People in Need in Pakistan. Chhipa Welfare Association was founded by Mr. Ramzan Chippa in 2007.It is a non-profit welfare organization in Pakistan, having sincere love and affection for the humanity and a strong commitment to serve the COMMON PEOPLE without discrimination of any caste, creed or colour.
Chhipa Welfare Association is daily running a big fleet of Chhipa Ambulances equipped with first-aid box, oxygen cylinder and paramedic staff.
CHHIPA WELFARE SERVICES:
CHHIPA WELFARE SERVICES comprise of
- Chhipa Ambulance Service
- Chhipa Dastarkhawan
- Chhipa Orphanage
- Chhipa Home
- Chhipa Morgue
- Chhipa Kitchen
- Chhipa Monthly Ration Bag
- Chhipa Ritual Bathing Room
- Chhipa FREE Ghusal & Kaffan
- Chhipa Mobile Morgue
- Chhipa Graveyard
- Chhipa Jhoola
- Chhipa Newborn Home
- Chhipa Old Home
- Chhipa Women Shelter Home.
Presently Chippa welfare organization has a big fleet of CHHIPA AMBULANCES, spread over CHHIPA AMBULANCE EMERGENCY CENTRES in prominent places, on various roundabouts and near Government Hospitals across Karachi city for providing immediate help and assistance to the needy and sick people, while the responding time is within 7 minutes. Chhipa Ambulances are always on the alert and ready to meet any emergency situation.
24 Hour Services:
- On spot Emergency Medical Aids & Services to all kinds of victim & emergency patients.
- On 24 hours Chhipa Ambulance Free Rescue Operations in accidents, emergency & disasters.
- On 24 hours Free Ambulance Service to the deserving people, who cannot afford the charges.
- On providing facilities of CT-Scan, MRI, X-Ray & Lab. Tests to the deserving needy persons.
4-Al Mustafa Welfare Society:
“Al Mustafa Welfare Society” is in fourth position, in our List of Top 5 Non Profit Organizations Providing Free Medical Care to People in Need in Pakistan .Al Mustafa Welfare Society was founded in 1982 by Abdul Razzaq Sajid. It is a not-for-profit and non-governmental organization, consisting of a group of like-minded individuals formally joined hands to form the Almustafa welfare Society for the eradication of illiteracy and poor health facility, in the most marginalized and poor communities. Since its inception it is working for the promotion of basic health and primary education. It was founded with the aim of providing basic health facilities and educating children in the ruler areas of Sindh. Almustafa also promotes the health and education of girls, as health and education empowers women to break the cycle of poverty. It is run by a team of highly motivated intellectuals and social workers comprising of Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Business Executives and Representatives of various fields of life. Al-Mustafa’s branches are working all over the country from Kashmir to Karachi. We are providing Health, Education, Public Awareness and Emergency Relief Services. Al-Mustafa is serving thousands of poor and needy people on daily basis through its Medical Centers, Clinics, Schools, Mosques, Madarsahs, Orphanage, Vocational Training Centers and Skill Development Centers all over the country.
To work for the progress and development of the common people, focusing on health and capacity building through establishing institutions, community development center, vocational training centers, industrial homes and women self-employment schemes.
AMWS vision is to rebuild Pakistan as an ideological, progressive enlightened and welfare-oriented Islamic State as originally conceived by its creators.
- Provide relief from sickness and in particular to those effected by drought, flood and diseases by the provision of assistance and treatment including medicine.
- Information dissemination and human resource development through training, seminars, workshops and conferences.
Social Services Program:
This is most important program of the AMWS. The main objectives of this program are:
- To provide relief from sickness anywhere in the country.
- To reach in the natural disasters affected areas for helping people.
- To arrange medical camps for shelter, food and treatment.
- To provide training and technical assistance to the needy groups and their workers for effective accomplishment of their targets.
- To suggest appropriate social security measures for the most vulnerable and marginalized groups of society like women, children, senior citizens and religious service providers.
Main Areas in which AMWS is Interested:
The main areas in which AMWS is interested are as follows
- Health Education
- Mobile Health Unit
- Special and Periodical Medical Camps
- Blood Donation Camps
- Specialists’ Consultancy Services
- Ambulance Services
- Advocacy and awareness
- Safe water supply
3- Relief / Social Services:
- Emergency Relief
- Ramzan Food Gift Scheme
- Scholarships and Books distribution to poor and needy students
- Qurbani Project
4- Skill / Human Development:
- Industrial Homes
- Women Self-employment Scheme
- Community Development Program
- Vocational Training Project
5- Research & Development:
- Baseline Surveys, Seminars/Group discussions
- Publishing of research findings
- Reports writing
- Research based Policy recommendation.
6- Advocacy/Public Awareness:
- Meeting with Public Representatives
- Liaison with Distt. Govts./Legislators
- Publications of Articles, brochures, posters, media programs
- Man to man contact at gross-root level
“Shaukat Khanum Cancer Hospital“ is in fifth position, in our List of Top 5 Non Profit Organizations Providing Free Medical Care to People in Need in Pakistan .
“To act as a model institution to alleviate the suffering of patients ,with cancer through the application of modern methods of curative and palliative therapy irrespective of their ability to pay, the education of health care professionals and the public ,and perform research into the causes and treatment of cancer.”
Donate any amount of your choice or be an official online fundraiser of Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre by following these simple guide lines:
Step-1: Sign up
Step-2: Create your fundraising page
Step-3: Donate and pass it on to your friends If we all do a little, we can do a lot!.
Their leadership brings together years of experience and expertise with the mission of fighting cancer ,and unprecedented commitment to patient care, education and research.
Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre offers a complete range of health care services.
Projects of SKMT:
The Shaukat Khanum Memorial Trust realises its responsibilities in the fight against cancer, and therefore it has established a number of centres all over Pakistan that help in the awareness, diagnosis and treatment of cancer in Pakistan. Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre.
- Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre (Lahore, Pakistan), the first specialized cancer facility in the entire region with all the cancer diagnostic and therapeutic facilities under one roof, inaugurated on December 29, 1994.
- Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre (Peshawar, Pakistan), built according to the latest international healthcare standards, inaugurated on December 29, 2015.
- Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre (Karachi, Pakistan) Land Awarded, Planning in progress
Outreach Cancer Screening Clinics:
- Shaukat Khanum Walk-In Clinic (Karachi, Pakistan)
- Shaukat Khanum Walk-In Clinic (Peshawar, Pakistan)
- Shaukat Khanum Walk-In Clinic (Lahore, Pakistan)
- Shaukat Khanum Walk-In Clinic (Multan, Pakistan)
- Shaukat Khanum Diagnostic Centre (Lahore, Pakistan)
- Karachi Diagnostic Centre and Clinic (Karachi, Pakistan)
As one of the largest cancer care centres in Pakistan, Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre offers a complete range of health care services including clinical, diagnostic, out-patient and others.
Download our Transparenthands Andriod Application for Online Donation
Millions of people suffer in illness and isolation, because they cannot afford to pay for expensive medicines and for diagnostic tests in Pakistan.
The Dawn (newspaper) reported, about 9.6 million children in Pakistan experience chronic nutrition deprivation. Pneumonia kills about 92,000 children approximately. Shifa International Hospital reported that Pakistani population has one of the highest risks of coronary heart disease in the world. About 30 to 40 % of all deaths in Pakistan result from cardiovascular disease. Every 9th Pakistani is suffering from Liver disease and 300,000 patients have dire need of Liver Transplant.
Most of them live under extreme poverty and cannot afford to pay for medicines or diagnosis. If free care is not given to these patients their health conditions will only deteriorate, and eventually they die due to our ignorance.
The purpose of human existence is not meant to live only for oneself. The purpose of existence has deep roots connected to the welfare of others. Being concerned about the society and its troubles, will not serve anything unless we take an action to help and decide to make a donation.
Every donation you make is the reflection of your kindness. A small act of compassion though you may not see can create a significant impact, on someone’s life-giving him or her reason to breathe and to survive in this world.
Even a small group of thoughtful and committed people can change the world, when they are contributing to support an organization for a single cause. Be first to make a small donation today. A generous donation can ensure a better life for millions who are suffering each day.